Wednesday, August 8, 2007

To my pal of SP11

Dear Secret Pal,

I'm so looking forward to this, my first secret pal swap ever. Please let me know what you need from me to make this easy for you, and feel free to share your experience.

Thank you!!!

And now, the questionnaire... Happy reading!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I love knitting with almost anything, but right now am loving anything with bamboo in it, or soy. I really don't like mohair, I'm an anti-fuzzy yarns person. Not that Rowan something Haze isn't nice, because it is, but I just don't knit with mohair.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?My needles that I use regularly are in a shoebox, in a drawer. The other needles are in a tall vintage cylindrical case, also in a drawer. My circulars are in a decorative round box.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned to knit when I was at school when I was 6 or 7, but i didn't realise I remembered until I bought yarn and needles. I asked someone at my LYS to cast on for me, and started knitting while standing at the bus stop. I would consider my skill to be intermediate, purely because I have tried most techniques at least once and have gotten pretty good at this knitting malarkey.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I do not. I should have, but honestly, I'd never finish it. Sometimes I barely remember I have a blog!

5. What's your favorite scent? Not wet wool! Possibly vanilla, definitely food scents (baking cookies, etc).

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Oh boy, probably Lindt chocolates. I was spoiled on British chocolate growing up. I do like Skittles and M&Ms.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I've just started beading and bought myself a drop-spindle kit but don't know how to use it yet.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I generally like everything. I'm really enjoying podcasts at the moment, it's so nice to listen to people talk about knitting as I knit, or when I can't knit. Seems like the world gets a little smaller :) My computer plays CDs, we don't own a stereo and I don't have an MP3 player.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I've just finished playing with a ton of yarn in a yarn store and I love all the heathery and tweedy colours there are, deep reds, dusky pinks, periwinkle blues - lots of natural colours too - I've always loved sage green. I really don't like pink pinks, barbie-girl shades, but matched with the right contrast colour, who knows?

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married and have a toddler, Richard. He's almost 2. We have no pets but Richard likes walking my yarn around like a dog (I tie a loop in one end and he "holds on tight".)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves and mittens yes, hats are new to me. I live in Canada so you kind of need them here.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Baby items, because they go so quickly.

13. What are you knitting right now? I just finished the back of a sweater for my little guy, and I'm currently knitting the back of a little vest for a newborn.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, very much so. Now that I knit, it's so much more personal to receive a handmade gift and I can appreciate the time and thought that went into it.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Addi Turbos! In straights, I definitely prefer bamboo but I find the points are not very pointy. I've been using circulars a lot more but that's because they are Addis and I love them. I don't really like long needles, usually 10" is enough for me, another reason why circulars are heading to the top of my "I like..." list!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Nope. I used to just knit from the skein, but one ridiculous incident put an end to that! I do plan to get one in September.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? Lol, one day old. Although I do have a couple of projects that got eaten by raccoons while camping a few months ago and I've written them off. They haven't come out of their Ziploc bags since. (I'm scared to look at them again, even though some of the yarn is salvageable.)

18. What is your favorite holiday? One without hubby and little guy, and with lots of fruity wines.

19. Is there anything that you collect? Beads and yarn. I guess maybe colourful needles? I tend to buy only coloured needles (like Boye) and I did buy a ton of pastel coloured circulars at a yard sale.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I generally like all of the baby knitting pattern books. And there's a sweater (or 6) that I'd really like to make in the Classic Elite book, Puddle Jumpers. I don't subscribe to magazines, not that I wouldn't like to, but they always come a few days later than they appear on newstands.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I'd love to try entrelac and intarsia. I would love to be able to wear some nice, hand knit by me, latvian mittens come December. And there's that "Lady Eleanor" stole...

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I have knit socks, and I'm approximately 9 inches from heel to toe. Just very slightly larger than a womens medium. I haven't yet knit socks on sock weight yarn, the smallest I've used is sport (Lorna's Laces to be exact). I'm working my way down, Richard and I bought some sock yarn together (he chose it) and I'm planning on making us some socks as soon as my #1 circular is free.

23. When is your birthday? September 29.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? My ID is "Shelley".

If you've made it this far, you deserve a treat -

No comments: