Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My knitting chair.

Initially, my chair came from my mother-in-law. She bought it over 26 years ago, when she was looking for a good nursing chair. At the time, a chair like this cost about $2000. It also came with a footstool, very important for nursing.

My chair is blue, with little baskets and birds and flowers in pots, and the letters of the alphabet embroidered all over it. It could use a cleaning, and the arm on the right side could use some repairing, but it is still enormously comfortable and it fills me with warm feelings and love every time I look at it and sit in it.

I feel it's important that my chair is full of history, just as my knitting will be when it is passed down to my son, his children, and maybe even his children's children. My knitting will last, somewhere. It may get adapted, shortened here or have a trim added on there, but it will remain mine. Just as this chair may have repairs, get re-covered (a possible near-future endeavour) and be improved upon to suit me and where my life is now, I hope my knitting will undergo the same treatment.

My chair is part of my knitting. it is the only place at home that I knit. It sits in my 'knitting corner'. And we love each other.

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog! Easy peasy to enter the contest--once your appointment is over--just email me your name and email address (so I can contact you if you win) My email is rkbezzie (AT) gmail (DOT) com. Super simple!

Love the idea of a heritage chair!!!